Dog Parks - Virginia
Bea Arthur Dog Park
Dog Park Info: This 1-acre dog park features a large expanse of lawn, double-gated entrance, a water station, a toy bin, a shaded picnic area, and an easy-access ramp for dog-paddling in the Elizabeth River. In a beautiful picturesque location by the water, it is conveniently close to downtown Norfolk, and right near the Cruise lines port. What's better? It is open 24/7 and is to be enjoyed free of charge!
Dog Park Info: Opened in February 2006. Over an acre of grassy off leash play area for Chesterfield's best friends. We ar a co-sponsored group of Chesterfield County Parks and Recreation.
Courtesy of the Alexandria Police Depatment
There are 26 off-leash dog exercise areas in the City of Alexandria. Not all areas are fully fenced, so use caution.
1. 100ft by 100ft area of northeast corner of Founders Park at Oronoco Street and the Potomac River.
2. City property at southwest corner of Gibbon and Union Streets.
3. At Jones Point, northof soccer field, under bridge.
4. City property at NE corner of First Street and Payne Street.
5. Powhatan gateway at corner of Henry and Powhatan Streets.
6. Park area between Rte 1, alley ball field and Bellefone Avenue.
7. SE corner of Braddock Road and Commonwealth Avenue.
8. Hooffs Run, east of Commonwealth between Oak and Chapman Streets.
9. Loop at Duke Street - Telegraph Road interchange.
10. SE corner of Wheeler Avenue and Duke Street.
11. Area betwwen Ft. Williams and New Ft. Williams Pkwy.
12. Along Old Mill Run west of Gordon Street.
13. Loop at Duke Street- Camero Stallon interchange.
14. Area between bike trail and Holmes run channel from Pickett Street to Foxchase Shopping Center.
15. SW loop to Duke-Van Dorn interchange.
16. Area in median of Yakum Parkway behind Virginia power substation.
17. NE corner of Armistead and Beauregard Streets.
18. Rynes Drive Park.
19. Along Chambliss Street north of tennis courts at Grigsby Avenue.
20. NW corner of Seminary Road and Beauregard Street in front of the bank.
21. East side of entrance to Fort Ward Park (100 ft by 100 ft area).
22. Median to Timber Branch Parkway between Braddock Road and Oakley Place.
23. Chinquapin Park at east end of loop road.
24. Area to east of entrance to Monticello Park (50ft by 200ft area).
25. Area to west of Edison Street cul-de-sac and between bike trail and Berkey Photo Processing.
26. 200 ft W&OD Railroad right-of-way south of Raymond Avenue.
Courtesy of Arlington Dogs
1. Utah Park - 3308 South Stafford St.
The County's newest and only fully fenced dog exercise area. From I-395 North or South take Shirlington Exit and follow signs to Quaker Ln. From Quaker Ln, take first right onto 32nd Rd. Take next right onto S. Stafford St. and follow curve to the Yield sign. Turn left at sign (32nd St.) Park at the bottom of the hill or along sides of the streets. The dog exercise area is on the other side of the softball diamond from the parking lot.
2. Benjamin Benneker Park - 1600 Block North Sycamore
This park is partially fenced with wooden rail fencing. Take I-66 West to Sycamore St. Exit 69. Turn left on Sycamore past the East Falls Church Metro Station. Turn right onto North 16th St. Then take first right which dead ends at the dog exercise area.
3. Madison Community Center - 3829 North Stafford St.
Exercise area is fully fenced. From Lee Highway (29) North or South. Turn onto Military Rd. Follow Military to end. Turn left onto Old Glebe Rd. Exercise area is on left. Drive past and turn left into entrance for Community Center. Park in Center front parking lot. Walk from your car to left of bulding to enter area. NOTE: Police will ticket for parking in back lot. Also, dogs are not allowed on soccer field.
4. Glencarlyn Park - 301 South Harrison St.
This area located near a creek and woods. This site is not fenced. From Route 50, head West to the Carlin Springs Rd. Exit. Exit right and turn left at stop sign. Pass under Route 50 and follow Carlin Springs until 4th St. Turn left on 4th St. and go 5 blocks until the road ends at Glencarlyn Park sign. Follow park road until road ends. Park your car and walk over a small bridge and stream to the exercise area.
5. Towers Park - 801 South Scott St.
The park is not fenced. From 395 North or South, take Columbia Pike West towards Bailey's Crossroads. Stay in right-hand lane and take right on Scott St. at white church. Go straight until road ends at parking lot. Exercise area is behind the tennis courts.
6. Barcroft Park - 4100 South Four Mile Run Drive
This exercise area is located in the park at the "T" of Arlington Mill Rd, and South Walter Reed Dr. If you drive to it you must enter at the South Four Mile Run entrance close to the DMV. Park and walk east along the bicycle path approximatly 1/2 mile toward S. Walter Reed. The dog exercise area is on the left between the bicycle path and water, close to the road.
7. Shirlington Park - 2601 South Arlington Mill Drive
This area is located along the bicycle path behind a storage facility along South Four Mile Run between Shirlington Rd. and South Walter Reed Dr. It is close to but not in Jennie Dean Park. Heading east on Four Mile Run take a right on Nelson. Heading west take a left. Go straight and park behind the storage facility. The area is between the facility and the water. There is no signage indicating its location. NOTE: Personal safety issues at this site.
We've been notified by a member of the county's Dog Park Task Force that there is no legal public dog park in Centreville.
Located on Old Lynchburg Road
Open daylight hours.
Fenced, benches, tables, handicap access, trees, parking, water, trashcans. Comments= Large creek running through the park where dogs can swim; lots of dogs from 5p to 7p, few during the day. NOTE: this park is open again after renovations. Fencing is in disrepair and the park is near a highway - use caution!
Located at the end of Market Street, then left
Benches, tables, trees, parking, trashcans. Comments=
Playground for children, river for dog swimming, wide level paths through woods for walking (1/2 mile circular walk or 1 mile each way straight walk). This park is not fenced so use caution.
Blake Lake Park
10033 Blake Lane near Bushman Drive
Open sunup to sundown
Fenced, benches, parking, trashcans.
Comments= the park is approximately 1/3 acre and fully fenced (5 ft). Capacity limited to 25 dogs. Please bring water and scoop bags! Parking at the Recycling
Located at Dogwood Dell - Byrd Park
Open daylight hours. Fenced, poopbags, trees, parking, water. Comments= There are separate areas for puppies or aggressive dogs. There is also a water pump nearby that is in operation in the summer months.
Red Wing Park
Located on General Booth Blvd.
Open 7am to dark.
Fenced, handicap access, poopbags, parking, restrooms, lights, water.