My Dog Ate Chocolate: 3 Things To Know

Abba at Easter

Most pet owners know that chocolate is off limits to their dog or cat, but do you know why? And that some types of chocolate are worse for them to ingest than others? When it comes to a potentially dangerous product that will inevitably be the house — especially around holidays — it’s imperative know all you can, which is why WebVet is here to help!

Why is chocolate dangerous?

Chocolate contains caffeine and a compound called theobromine, which stimulates the nervous system and can be toxic to animals. If enough is ingested, your pet can suffer from vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, seizures, and worst-case scenario, death.

Which chocolate is the worst?

While all forms of chocolate can be toxic to cats and dogs, white chocolate has the least amount of stimulants. The unsweetened or baking chocolate is the most dangerous as it contains the highest percentage of Theobromide per once; 400 MG per once as compared to 45 MG per ounce to milk chocolate.

Full Article >>

Publication: WebVet.com
Section: Articles > Dog Health