Valentine’s day is this week and with all the human festivities, there are hidden dangers for your pets. Below are toxic items that you may give or receive on Valentine’s day to hide from your best friend.
- Chocolate – Ingestions of more than 0.1 ounces per pound of body weight of dark or semi-sweet chocolate may cause poisoning.
- Roses – Although not really poisonous, the thorns can tear through a puppies throat and stomach.
- Lillies – Sometimes given instead of roses, lillies contain a toxin that is deadly to pets
- Macadamia nuts – Poisonous to dogs but no cats.
- Xylitol – The sugar substitute can cause drop in blood sugar as well as liver damage in dogs.
Stay safe this Valentine’s day!