Listed in Kentucky Dog Parks
- Stuart Nelson Park, Nelson Park Rd, Paducah, KY 42001, USA
In 2010, the public fundraising began for a dog park at Stuart Nelson Park, located off Park Avenue a few miles west of Noble Park. The City challenged the public to raise $20,000 toward the Paducah Dog Park and then the City would match that amount. Parks Services Director Mark Thompson says 85 different donors contributed to the park. Fundraising Opportunities >> An official opening ceremony was held Wednesday, August 15, 2012. The dog park is on an approximately 7-acre tract of land at the eastern end of Stuart Nelson Park. As you enter Stuart Nelson Park, the dog park is on the right side with the large dog park closest to the park entrance. The park has two large fenced areas for large dogs and small dogs in addition to parking, water, and shelters.
Amenities, Hours, and Rules
The Paducah Dog Park has water, fencing, shelters, gravel parking, and pet waste receptacles. The park is partitioned into two sections based upon the weight of a dog with 30 pounds as the dividing weight. Each fenced section has a water spigot that has a motion sensor on it to detect when a dog is near. Near the entrance of each fenced area is a green box with "Mutt Mitts", degradable bags to allow the easy collection of your dog’s excrement. Each fenced area also has a large shelter so that owners can sit and chat while the pooches play and romp. The fencing is coated with black vinyl to keep it looking new for years. In the future, the dog park could have amenities such as dog agility obstacles.
The Paducah Dog Park is open seven days a week during the normal hours for Stuart Nelson Park, 6 a.m. until 9 p.m.
The rules are as follows:
- Owners/handlers are responsible for the behavior of their dogs.
- Keep dogs on leashes until they are inside the enclosure.
- Owners must keep the leash in hand at all times.
- Leash and remove your dog immediately if you sense problems or your dog becomes unruly.
- Dogs should never be left unattended.
- Aggressive dogs are prohibited.
- Female dogs in heat are prohibited.
- Human food is prohibited inside the enclosure. Doggie treats are permissible.
- Owners/handlers must clean up after their pets. Doggie bags are available at the entrances.
- All dogs must be current on vaccinations.
- Do not allow dogs to dig holes. If they do, fill holes immediately.
- Children under age 15 must be accompanied and supervised by an adult at all times.
- Individuals without dogs are not allowed inside the enclosure.
- Smoking is prohibited inside the enclosure.
- Secure doors as you enter and leave the enclosure.
- Hours of operation and access to the dog park may be restricted during special events or as determined by the Parks Services Director.
- Immediately report any problems to the Parks Office at 270-444-8508 or email@example.com.