Everyone wants the best for their dog’s health. Keep these 16 foods away from them to help keep them safe.
- Chocolate – Chocolate can caue seziures, comas and even death. The darker the chocolate, the more concentrated it is and the more dangerous it becomes. An ounce of chocolate can poison a 30 lb dog.
- Coffee Grounds/Caffeine – Caffeine contains a substance called methylxanthines that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, panding, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity and death.
- Grapes/Raisins – Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure. As small as a single serving of raisins can kill them.
- Onions – They destroy a dog’s red blood cells and can cause anemia, weakness and breathing difficulty.
- Garlic – Large amounts can cause the same issues as onions.
- Rhubarb – Rhubarb contains a substance called oxalate in the leaves and can cause severe problems like kidney failure, tremors and salivation.
- Xylitol – Diet food with Xylitol can cause an increase in insulin secretion and sudden drip in blood sugar resulting in depression, loss of coordination and seizures.
- Alcohol – Dog’s bodies are not made to break down alcohol like a human’s body.
- Bread Dough/Raw Yeast – When ingested, the unbaked bread dough expands and can cause bloat. It can also cause alcohol poisoning and gas.
- Avocados and Pitted Fruits (ie Peache, Pears, etc…) – The pits are toxic to dogs. They can cause difficulty breathing, fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen, heart or pancreatitis.
- Macadamia Nuts – Can cause weakness, muscle and nervous-system issues and paralysis.
- Walnuts – Especially English Walnuts, can cause gastric intestinal upset and can cause obstruction in your dog’s body.
- Nuts – While most nuts are not poisonous to dogs, they can cause a very upset stomach as their bodies can not easily digest them.
- Tomatoes – Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhuthmias in dogs. The actual tomato plants are the worst thing to eat, but the tomatoes are also unsafe.
- Nutmeg – Known to cause tremors and seizures.
- Milk – Pets do not possess significant amounts of lactase to break down milk. Milk and other dairy based products can cause diarrhea and other digestive problems.
Keep your dog healthy and call the emergency vet if needed.