Remember, Your Animal Shelter Donations Are Tax DeductibleComments Off on Remember, Your Animal Shelter Donations Are Tax Deductible
It’s the end of the year and that means it’s unfortunately time to think about tax donations. What better way to save on your taxes than to make a donation to an animal shelter or dog rescue and save lives. Here’s a few things to remember before you right your check:
- Make sure the animal shelter/rescue is a 501(c)(3) charity. This is a charity that has been given tax-exempt status by the IRS. They have an ID number assigned and any donations are tax deductible. When making a cash/check donation, be sure to get a receipt from the charity.
- Donations other than cash/check are tax deductible also. Remember to itemized receipt for proof. It is also good to get a receipt of items given from the shelter just to back up the fact that you gave to them. May shelters have a list on their website of items that they need.
- Adoption fees are not tax deductible. Only donations which do not receive anything in return are tax deductible.
- Did you foster this year? All items purchased for the foster are considered donations and are tax deductible just like donations to the shelter.
- Did you volunteer? Mileage can also be written off. Check with your accountant for the amounts.
Be sure to always check with your accountant on what is and is not deductible where you live and how much you should claim.
Need to find a shelter/rescue to donate to? Find an animal shelter or dog rescue near you>>